Associate Professor, Applied Mathematics - GIDP
Associate Professor, Biomedical Engineering - GIDP
Associate Professor, Neuroscience - GIDP
- University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, 1993 (BS, Physics)
- Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, 2001 (MSE, Bioengineering)
- Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, 2002 (PhD, Bioengineering)
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 2002-2007 (Postdoctorate, Experimental Ultrasound)
- Nugent Scholarship, University of Arizona, 1988-1991
- "Most Imaginative" Undergraduate Research Project, University of Arizona, 1990
- B.S. with Honors, Cum Laude, University of Arizona, 1993
- Slipher Scholarship in Physics, University of Arizona, 1992
- First Place, Biomedical Engineering Poster Competition, Arizona State University 1998, 2000
- Arizona Regents Scholarship, Arizona State University, 2000
- "Outstanding Paper" in Current Opinion in Neurobiology, 2005
- Travel Award, IEEE-EMBS Neural Engineering Conference, 2007
Russell Witte received his B.S. degree with Honors from the University of Arizona in 1993. After extensive travel to Europe and Brazil, he returned to the United States for graduate school in Bioengineering at Arizona State University and embarked on a research project using chronic microelectrode arrays to describe sensory coding and cortical plasticity in the mammalian brain. After earning his Ph.D. in Bioengineering in 2002, Dr. Witte moved to University of Michigan in Ann Arbor to develop new ultrasound contrast mechanisms for imaging especially excitable tissue (i.e., brain, nerve and muscle). As a member of the Biomedical Ultrasonics Laboratory, he helped devise several new imaging techniques, such as ultrasound current source density imaging for detecting current flow in biological tissue. In July 2007, Dr. Witte became Assistant Professor of Radiology at the University of Arizona. As Director of the Experimental Ultrasound and Neural Imaging Laboratory, he continues to develop new imaging methods using a combination of light, ultrasound, radiofrequency, electrical currents and other mechanisms to create noninvasive, fast, and relatively inexpensive images that provide a greater amount of more specific information. These technologies can be applied to study a variety of medical disorders from neuromuscular disease to cancer angiogensis.
Witte, R.S., K. Kim, B. J. Martin, M. O'Donnell. "Effect of fatigue on muscle elasticity in the human forearm using ultrasound strain imaging." Proc. 28th IEEE EMBS in New York, SaA15.5: 4490-4493, 2006.
Witte, R.S., R. Olafsson, M. O'Donnell. "Acoustoelectric Detection of Current Flow in a Neural Recording Chamber." Proc. 2006 IEEE Ultrasonics Symposium 5-8, 2006.
Witte, R.S., S Huang, S Ashkenazi, K. Kim, M O'Donnell. "Contrast-enhanced photoacoustic imaging of live lobster nerve cord." Proc. 2007 SPIE 6437: 64370J, 2007.
Huang, S., S. Ashkenazi, Y. Hou, R.S. Witte, M. O'Donnell. "Toward fiber-based high-frequency 3D ultrasound imaging." Proc. 2007 SPIE 6437: 643728, 2007.
Olafsson, R., R.S. Witte, M. O'Donnell. "Measurement of a 2D Electric Dipole Field using the Acousto-Electric Effect." Proc. 2007 SPIE Medical Imaging 6513: 65130S, 2007.
Witte, R.S., S Huang, S Ashkenazi, M O'Donnell. "Hybrid imaging system for developing novel neural contrast agents." Proc IEEE EMBS Neural Engineering Conference NER07, 229-232, 2007.
Shi, Y., R.S. Witte, M. O'Donnell, "Identification of vulnerable plaque using IVUS-based thermal strain imaging," IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control, 5: 844-850, 2005.
Witte, R.S. and D.R. Kipke. "Enhanced contrast sensitivity in auditory cortex as cats learn to discriminate sound frequencies." Cognitive Brain Research May 23 (2-3): 171-184, 2005.
Witte, R.S., P.J. Rousche and D.R. Kipke. "Fast wave propagation in auditory cortex of an awake cat using a microelectrode array." Journal of Neural Engineering, 4: 68-78, 2007.
- Kim, K., S-W Huang, R. S. Witte, and M. O'Donnell. "Thermal Strain Imaging With a Linear Array." UM FILE 3530 (patent pending), Univ. of Michigan.
- Witte, R.S., R. Olafsson, M. O'Donnell. "Current Mapping of Biopotentials using the Acousto-Electric Effect." UM FILE 3236, prov. patent (Feb 2007), Univ. of Michigan.
- Witte, R.S., R. Olafsson, S-W Huang, T. Hall, M. O'Donnell. "Conducting Phase-Sensitive Acoustoelectric Hydrophone," UM FILE 3677, invention disclosure (Feb 2007), Univ. of Michigan.
- Ashkenazi, S., R. Kopelman, R.S. Witte, Tom Horvath, Guangseon Kim. "Photoacoustic Indicators." UM FILE 3693 (patent pending), Univ. of Michigan.
Leelina Kidane (MSRP 2009): "B-mode and M-mode ultrasonic imaging of aortic stiffness."
Victoria Vo (MSRP 2011): "Electromechanical Coupling of a Tissue Engineered Patch for Restoring Cardiac Function"
Nathan O. Allen, 2011, 2012 "Ultrasound and Photoacoustic Contrast Agents for Targeted Imaging and Therapy"; 2013, "Ultrasound and Magnetism"
Retonica Maize, 2012, "Dynamic Ultrasound Studies"
Andres Nuncio Zuniga, 2016; " Quantification of Mechanical Properties of the Posterior Tibial Tendon using Ultrasound"
Andres Barragan, 2017; "Ultrasound Imaging of Iron in a Brain Phantom with Real Human Skull"
Alex Burton, 2017; "Non-Invasive Medical Imaging of the Brain Using Ultrasound"