Director, Arizona Emergency Medicine Research Center (AEMRC)
President, American Board of Medical Specialties
- Indiana University, 1972 (M.D.)
- Harvard University, 1973 (Internship)
- University of Chicago, 1973-1975 (Residency)
- University of California, Los Angeles, 1976-1980
- President, American Board of Emergency Medicine (1991-1992)
- 30th President of the American Board of Medical Specialties (2003)
- Fellow, American College of Emergency Physicians
- Advanced Trauma Life Support instructor for the American College of Surgeons
- Emergency medical services
- Trauma - including acute care, and injury prevention
- Emergency medicine/clinical and basic studies of emergency patients seen through the Emergency Department
Students can be exposed to a variety of areas affecting emergency medicine, including pre-hospital environments, ground and air ambulance services, regional and state EMS agencies, clinical and basic science research efforts, Toxicology and Poison Control Center, exposure to private and municipal ambulance agencies, opportunity to work with the Emergency Medicine Research Center.
Leikin JB, Thomas RG, Walter FG, Klein R, Meislin HW. A review of nerve agent exposure for the critical care physician. Crit Care Med. 30(10):2346-54, 2002.
Spaite DW, Karriker KJ, Seng M, Conroy C, Battaglia N, Tibbitts M, Meislin HW, Salik RM, Valenzuela TD. Increasing paramedics' comfort and knowledge about children with special health care needs. Am J Emerg Med. 18(7):747-52, 2002.
Spaite DW, Conroy C, Tibbitts M, Karriker KJ, Seng M, Battaglia N, Criss EA, Valenzuela TD, Meislin HW. Use of emergency medical services by children with special health care needs.Prehosp Emerg Care. 4(1):19-23, 2000.
Matthew Atlas (MSRP 1983): "Effect of various pharmacological agents on coronary perfusion."
Cory Detlefs (MSRP 1983): "Evaluation of endotracheal intubation as a method of airway management in the prehospital setting."
Janet R. Jansen Martin (MSRP 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996): "Trauma death study."
Stephen Hocheder (MSRP 1996): "The effect of managed care on the cost of penetrating trauma."
-Denise Contreras, Pueblo High School, 1995
-Leeann Verdugo, Catalina High School, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998
-Mark R. Nelson, Santa Rita High School, 1995