Deputy Dean for Research and Academic Affairs, College of Medicine
Professor, Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Radiation Oncology
1972-1975 University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona B.S. Microbiology/Chemistry
1976-1980 University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona PhD. Biochemistry/Molecular Biology
Honors and Awards:
- 1999, Outstanding Research Investigator Award, Moffitt Cancer Center
- 2005, Founder's Day Award, Arizona Health Sciences Center, University of Arizona
- 2005, Elkin Award for Cancer Biology Research, Emory University
- 2008, Sydney E. Salmon Award, Senior Investigator, Arizona Cancer Center, University of Arizona
- NIH Study Section Chairperson, Tumor Progression and Metastasis, 2006-2010.
- NIH Study Section Chairperson, Radiation Biology and Therapeutics, 2003-2005.
Major Areas of Research Interest:
"My major fields of interest include the regulation of cell adhesion proteins and cellular damage responses. Specifically, I am studying the role of cellular adhesion mediated by integrin molecules in human cancer metastasis and recurrence. Current work indicates that blocking integrin function can prevent bone metastases. The integrin molecules are trasmembrane proteins which prarticipate in organizing cytoskeleton, modifying cellular adhesion, and transmitting signals which influence celluar damage responses. Cell adhesion mediated drug resistance and radiation resistance, as discovered by our group, are major barriers to effective cancer treatment."
- Laminin-binding integrin gene copy number alterations in distinct epithelial-type cancers. Harryman WL, Pond E, Singh P, Little AS, Eschbacher JM, Nagle RB, Cress AE. Am J Transl Res. 2016 Feb 15;8(2):940-54. eCollection 2016.
- Role of Integrin β4 in Lung Endothelial Cell Inflammatory Responses to Mechanical Stress. Chen W, Epshtein Y, Ni X, Dull RO, Cress AE, Garcia JG, Jacobson JR. Sci Rep. 2015 Nov 17;5:16529. doi: 10.1038/srep16529.
- Schwann Cells Increase Prostate and Pancreatic Tumor Cell Invasion Using Laminin Binding A6 Integrin. Sroka IC, Chopra H, Das L, Gard JM, Nagle RB, Cress AE. J Cell Biochem. 2016 Feb;117(2):491-9. doi: 10.1002/jcb.25300.
- Combined micro CT and histopathology for evaluation of skeletal metastasis in live animals. Geffre CP, Pond E, Pond GD, Sroka IC, Gard JM, Skovan BA, Meek WE, Landowski TH, Nagle RB, Cress AE. Am J Transl Res. 2015 Feb 15;7(2):348-55. eCollection 2015.
- Intracellular modifiers of integrin alpha 6p production in aggressive prostate and breast cancer cell lines. Kacsinta AD, Rubenstein CS, Sroka IC, Pawar S, Gard JM, Nagle RB, Cress AE. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2014 Nov 14;454(2):335-40. doi: 10.1016/j.bbrc.2014.10.073. Epub 2014 Oct 22.
- Targeting integrin α6 stimulates curative-type bone metastasis lesions in a xenograft model. Landowski TH, Gard J, Pond E, Pond GD, Nagle RB, Geffre CP, Cress AE. Mol Cancer Ther. 2014 Jun;13(6):1558-66. doi: 10.1158/1535-7163.MCT-13-0962. Epub 2014 Apr 16.
- Metastasis Update: Human Prostate Carcinoma Invasion via Tubulogenesis. Nagle RB, Cress AE. Prostate Cancer. 2011;2011:249290. doi: 10.1155/2011/249290. Epub 2011 Jun 21.
- Macrophage-dependent cleavage of the laminin receptor α6β1 in prostate cancer. Sroka IC, Sandoval CP, Chopra H, Gard JM, Pawar SC, Cress AE. Mol Cancer Res. 2011 Oct;9(10):1319-28. doi: 10.1158/1541-7786.MCR-11-0080. Epub 2011 Aug 8.
- The laminin binding integrin alpha6beta1 in prostate cancer perineural invasion. Sroka IC, Anderson TA, McDaniel KM, Nagle RB, Gretzer MB, Cress AE. J Cell Physiol. 2010 Aug;224(2):283-8. doi: 10.1002/jcp.22149. Review.
- Extracellular engagement of alpha6 integrin inhibited urokinase-type plasminogen activator-mediated cleavage and delayed human prostate bone metastasis. Ports MO, Nagle RB, Pond GD, Cress AE. Cancer Res. 2009 Jun 15;69(12):5007-14. doi: 10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-09-0354. Epub 2009 Jun 2
Sponsored Research Through MSRP:
Thomas Sroka (MSRP 1999) "Alteration of Cellular Adhesion and Tumor Cell Cytotoxicity"
Skylar Simpson (MSRP 2016) "Laminin Binding Integrins and Chordoma Biology."
NIH High School Student Research Program:
Brian Novak, Pueblo Magnet High School, 1999
Monday, May 22, 2017