Professor, Biomedical Engineering
Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering
Professor, Optical Sciences
Professor, Agricultural-Biosystems Engineering
Professor, BIO5 Institute
- The University of Texas at Austin, 1988 (B.S., Electrical Engineering)
- The University of California, Irvine, 1993 (M.S., Electrical Engineering)
- The University of Texas at Austin, 1998 ( Ph.D., Biomedical Engineering)
- NASA/Texas Space Grant Fellowship, 1996 & 1997
- A.D. Hutchinson Student Endowment Fellowship, University of Texas Fellowship, 1996 - 1998
- SPIE D.J. Lovell Scholarship, 1997
- Research Paper Award, 18th Ann. Mtg, Am. Soc. for Laser Medicine and Surgery (ASLMS), 1998
- Award for Excellence at the Student Interface, UA College of Engineering and Mines, 1998
- Member: ASLMS (fellow), BMES, IEEE, OSA, SP
- Optical Imaging (Optical Coherence Tomography)
- Fluorescence Spectroscopy
- Laser-Tissue Interaction
- Development of imaging instrumentation, particularly miniature delivery endoscopes.
- Development of applications in the broad areas of blood vessels and epithelial cancers
Tumlinson AR, Povazay B, Hariri LP, McNally J, Unterhuber A, Hermann B, Sattmann H, Drexler W, Barton JK, "In vivo ultrahigh-resolution optical coherence tomography of mouse colon with an achromatized endoscope," Journal of Biomedical Optics, 11:064003, 2006.
Cardinal KO, Bonnema GT, Hofer H, Barton JK, Williams SK, "Tissue Engineered Vascular Grafts as In Vitro Blood Vessel Mimics to Evaluate Endothelialization of Intravascular Devices" Tissue Engineering, Tissue Engineering, 12:3431-8, 2006.
Luo Y , Castillo J, Arauz L, Barton JK, Kostuk RK, "Coupling and crosstalk effects in high density fiber imaging," Applied Optics, 26:253-261, 2007.
Hariri LP, Tumlinson AR, Wade NH, Besselsen DG, Utzinger U, Gerner EW, Barton JK, "Ex Vivo Optical Coherence Tomography and Laser-induced Fluorescence Spectroscopy Imaging of Murine Gastrointestinal Tract," Comparative Medicine, 57 02 04, 2007.
Bonnema GT, Cardinal KO, McNally JB, Williams SK, Barton JK, "Assessment of Blood Vessel Mimics with Optical Coherence Tomography," Journal of Biomedical Optics, 12:024018, 2007.
Troutman T, Barton JK, Romanowski M, "Optical Coherence Tomography with Plasmon Resonant Nanorods of Gold," Optics Letters, 32:1438-1440, 2007.