- Cornell Medical School, 1973 (M.D.)
- University of Arizona, 1973-1976 (Internship and Residency)
- American Board of Emergency Medicine (Diplomate and Fellow)
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Diplomate and Fellow)
- President, Society for Academic Emergency Medicine, 1989-1990
- Established Investigator Grant-in-Aid, American Heart Association
- Chair, Ethics Committee, American College of Emergency Medicine, 1988-1990
- Best Scientific Paper, ACEP Scientific Assembly, 1987
- Best Scientific Paper, Rocky Mountain Regional Emergency Medicine Conference, 1986
- Chair, SAEM Task Force on Geriatric Emergency Medicine, 1990-1991
Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation - experimental and clinical research into the pathophysiology assessment and treatment of cardiac arrest and resuscitation.
1. Assessment criteria of efficacy of CPR
2. Metabolic imbalance during cardiac arrest and resuscitation
3. Optimizing the technique of CPR
4. The care of the elderly in emergency departments
5. Problem solving in emergency medicine
Close contact with established interdisciplinary research group
Learn the process of medical research
Follow an idea through - pose hypothesis, test hypothesis, write up and publish results
Opportunity to present research project at national meeting
Ewy GA. Kern KB. Sanders AB. Newburn D. Valenzuela TD. Clark L. Hilwig RW. Otto CW. Hayes MM. Martinez P. Berg RA. Cardiocerebral resuscitation for cardiac arrest. American Journal of Medicine. 119(1):6-9, 2006.
Sanders AB. Hiller K. Duldner J. Researchers' understanding of the federal guidelines for waiver of and exception from informed consent. Academic Emergency Medicine. 12(11):1045-9, 2005.
Sanders AB. Ewy GA. Cardiopulmonary resuscitation in the real world: when will the guidelines get the message? JAMA. 293(3):363-5, 2005.
Heidenreich JW. Sanders AB. Higdon TA. Kern KB. Berg RA. Ewy GA. Uninterrupted chest compression CPR is easier to perform and remember than standard CPR. Resuscitation. 63(2):123-30, 2004.
Matthew Atlas (MSRP 1983): "Effect of various pharmacological agents on coronary perfusion."
Peter Chase (MSRP 1989, 1990, 1991): "What effect does epinephrine have on end tidal carbon dioxide during CPR in the porcine model."
Perry S. Hiscok (MSRP 1990): "Effect of audible tones on hemodynamics of cardiopulmonary resuscitation."
Lisa Goldberg (RDT 2015): "Bystander Perceptions Of CPR Following Statewide CCO-CPR Initiative"