Associate Professor, Emergency Medicine
- University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, AZ 1985 (M.D.)
- L. A. County King Drew Medical Center, Los Angeles, California, 1985-1986 (Residency, Emergency Medicine)
- L. A. County King Drew Medical Center, Los Angeles, California, 1986-1988 (Residency, Emergency Medicine)
- 2004, Innovation in Medical Education Grant, Special Recognition for "Construction of a Novel Student and Resident Wellness Orientation Program"
- 2003, Board of Directors' Merit Recognition Council of Residency Directors
- 2002-2004, Appointed Senior Oral Case Reviewer American Board of Emergency Medicine
- 2002, Arizona Clinical Research Training Program K-30 Scholar National Institutes of Health
- 2002, Decade of Service Award Council of Residency Directors
- 2001, Finalist ACGME Parker J. Palmer Award
- 1999, Attending of the Year Emergency Medicine Residency
- 1998, Appointed Oral Examiner American Board of Emergency Medicine
- 1993, Fellow American Board of Emergency Physicians
- 1991, Diplomate American Board of Emergency Medicine
- 1988, Best Resident, Faculty Award, University of Maryland
- 1988, Most Caring Physician, Betty Harris Memorial Award, University of Maryland
- 1988, Best Resident in Graduating Class, Nursing award, University of Maryland
- 1986, Diplomate American Board of Medical Examiners
1. Thrombolytic agents in acute ischemia stroke
2. Emergency anesthesia
Other interests include: Emergency care, educational methods, evaluation of resident physicians' physician wellness, heat-related illnesses, outcomes research, CPR, ethics, pharmaceutical outcomes research. Dr. Keim published the first scientific journal article to investigate the public health issue of heat-related deaths among immigrants crossing into Arizona. Published in the Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, April 2006, his study shows a dramatic increase in the number of heat-related deaths recorded by the Pima County Medical Examiner from 1998-2003.
Rebecca Franzi (MSRP 2000): "Bystanding CPR delivery within an exclusive elderly community."
Brigette Bigelow (MSRP 2004): "Effects of ventilation frequency during CPR on return of spontaneous circulation in victims of ventricular fibrillation cardiac arrest."
Kendall Allred (MSRP 2005): "US/Mexico Border Crossers Mortalities."
Jennifer Treusch (MSRP 2007): "Validation of a Prediction Tool for Estimating Heat Deaths among US-Mexico Border Crossers."
Keim SM. Mays MZ. Williams JM. Serido J. Harris RB. Measuring wellness among resident physicians. Medical Teacher. 28(4):370-4, 2006.
Keim SM. Mays MZ. Parks B. Pytlak E. Harris RM. Kent MA. Estimating the incidence of heat-related deaths among immigrants in Pima County, Arizona. Journal of Immigrant & Minority Health. 8(2):185-91, 2006.
Keim SM. Spaite DW. Maio RF. Garrison HG. Desmond JS. Gregor MA. O'malley PJ. Stiell IG. Cayten CG. Chew JL Jr. Mackenzie EJ. Miller DR. Risk adjustment and outcome measures for out-of-hospital respiratory distress. Academic Emergency Medicine. 11(10):1074-81, 2004.
Keim SM. Spaite DW. Maio RF. Garrison HG. Desmond JS. Gregor MA. O'malley PJ. Stiell IG. Cayten CG. Chew JL Jr. Mackenzie EJ. Miller DR. Establishing the scope and methodological approach to out-of-hospital outcomes and effectiveness research. Academic Emergency Medicine. 11(10):1067-73, 2004.
Keim SM. Mays MZ. Grant D. Interactions between emergency medicine programs and the pharmaceutical industry. Academic Emergency Medicine. 11(1):19-26, 2004.
Keim SM. Guisto JA. Sullivan JB Jr. Environmental thermal stress. Annals of Agricultural & Environmental Medicine. 9(1):1-15, 2002.