- University of Massachusetts-Boston, Boston, MA.,1976 ( B.S., Biological Science)
- The University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, 1977 (M.S., Exercise Physiology
- The University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI, 1985 (Ph.D., Respiratory Physiology)
- Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, NH, 1986-1988 (Postdoctoral, Respiratory Physiology)
- Pre-Doctoral Fellow of the American Heart Association, 1984-1986
- Individual National Research Service Award, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (IF32 HL 07293), 1986-1988
- American Heart Association Post-Doctoral Fellowship, 1986 (grant was withdrawn due to concurrent NIH funding)
- FIRST award, National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, 1990-95
- Respiratory Physiology
- Neural control of respiratory muscles
- Neuromuscular control of the upper airways
- Application of respiratory neurpohysiology to biomedical problems
Opportunity to attend national conferences. Research resulting in publication.
Iizuka M, Fregosi RF. Influence of hypercapnic acidosis and hypoxia on abdominal expiratory nerve activity in the rat. Respir Physiol Neurobiol. PMID: 17292680, 2007.
Van Zutphen C, Janssen P, Hassan M, Cabrera R, Bailey EF, Fregosi RF. Regional velopharyngeal compliance in the rat: influence of tongue muscle contraction. NMR Biomed. PMID: 17274106, 2007.
Bailey EF, Huang YH, Fregosi RF. Anatomic consequences of intrinsic tongue muscle activation. J Appl Physiol. 101(5):1377-85, 2006.
Fregosi RF, Quan SF, Morgan WL, Goodwin JL, Cabrera R, Shareif I, Fridel KW, Bootzin RR. Pharyngeal critical pressure in children with mild sleep-disordered breathing.
J Appl Physiol. 101(3):734-9, 2006,
Bailey EF, Fregosi RF. Modulation of upper airway muscle activities by bronchopulmonary afferents. J Appl Physiol. 101(2):609-17, 2006.
Fregosi RF, Quan SF. MRI of pharyngeal airway in children with sleep-disordered breathing. J Appl Physiol. 99(6):2470; author reply 2470, 2005.
John J, Bailey EF, Fregosi RF. Respiratory-related discharge of genioglossus muscle motor units. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 172(10):1331-7, 2005.
Bailey EF, Janssen PL, Fregosi RF. PO2-dependent changes in intrinsic and extrinsic tongue muscle activities in the rat. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 171(12):1403-7, 2005.
Caitlyn Harrison (RDT 2015): "Influence of Prenatal Nicotine Exposure on the Control of Breathing"