Professor of Surgery
Chief, Section of Neurosurgery
Residency Program Director
- Saint Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, Mo, 1984 (M.D.)
- University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas, 1984-1985 (Internship, General Surgery)
- University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas, 1985-1990 (Residency, Neurological Surgery)
- University of Tennessee School of Medicine, 1990-1991 (Fellowship in Epilepsy Surgery)
- Phi Beta Kappa, Gamma of Georgia, Emory University, Atlanta, 1979
- High Honors in Chemistry, Emory University, 1980
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons Annual Resident Award, 1988
- American Epilepsy Society Young Investigator Award, 1993
- Long-term ictal video/electrocorticographic monitoring with subdural strip electrodes in epilepsy
- Surface monitoring of cortical cerebral blood flow in epilepsy
- Syndrome of inappropriate anti-diuretic hormone secretion: A study of intravascular volume and serum anti-diuretic hormone in atrial naturetic peptide
A student would be afforded the opportunity to participate in research related to the selection of candidates for epilepsy surgery using non-invasive imaging techniques (SPECT, PET, video/scalp EEG monitoring, neuropsychological testing), and invasive techniques (subdural strip electrode monitoring and surface cortical blood flow recording). The student would participate with the attending neurosurgeon in every aspect of decision-making for localization of epileptogenic foci in epilepsy surgery candidates. An emphasis is placed on the invasive ictal localization of epileptogenic foci with subdural strip electrode monitoring. In addition, the pathophysiology of regional cortical cerebral blood flow abnormalities during the interictal and ictal state is an active area of clinical research in which the student would be invited to participate.
Cathryn P. Cohen (MSRP 1992): "Long term ictal cortical blood flow and electrocortico-graphic monitoring with subdural strip electrodes for selection of temporal lobectomy candidates."
Chiazo Amene (MSRP 2004): "Statistical Analysis of Cerebral Blood Flow Changes in Epilesy."
Chad Farley (MSRP 2004): "Subdural EEG Monitoring of the Bitemporal Effects of Vagus Nerve Stimulation."
Eric Coon (MSRP 2006): "Time factors in temporal lobe epilepsy."
Minah Shin (MSRP 2007: "The Relationship Between Non-Epileptic Cerebral Blood Flow and Temporal Lobe Epileptogenicity."
Weinand ME, Farley C, Labiner D and Ahern G. Time from ictal subdural EEG seizure onset to clinical seizure onset: An electrocorticographic time factor associated with temporal lobe epileptogenicity Neurological research 2007 Jun 28 [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 17601365.
Valdivia JM, Dellon AL, Weinand ME, Maloney CT Jr. Surgical treatment of peripheral neuropathy: outcomes from 100 consecutive decompressions. Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association. 95(5):451-4, 2005.
Cramer SC, Benson RR, Himes DM, Burra VC, Janowsky JS, Weinand ME, Brown JA, Lutsep HL. Use of functional MRI to guide decisions in a clinical stroke trial. Stroke. 36(5):e50-2, 2005.
Gonzalez-Portillo G, Rivero S, Ahern GL, Labiner DM, Weinand ME. Normalization of periictal bihemispheric cerebral perfusion in temporal lobe epilepsy. Pathophysiology. 11(1):31-34, 2004.
Labiner DM, Weinand ME, Brainerd CJ, Ahern GL, Herring AM, Melgar MA. Prognostic value of concordant seizure focus localizing data in the selection of temporal lobectomy candidates. Neurol Res. 24(8):747-55, 2002.
Abigail McCallum, (RDT Class of 2017): "Cortical Gene Expression and Seizure Frequency in Patients with Intractable Temporal Lobe Epilepsy"
-Alberto Anthony Ramirez, University High School, 1991, 1992
-Oscar Ho, Amphitheater High School, 1993
-Nicole Doten, Yuma High School, 1996
-Elizabeth A. Shih, Dobson High School, 2002
-Yashica M. Anderson, Sahuaro High School, 2004
-Jacob DeWitt, Snowflake High School, 2005
-Anna Paredes, Desert View High (Tucson, AZ) 2006
-Ruth Chen, Corona del Sol High School, 2007
-Heidi Ann Williamson, Canyon Del Oro High School, 2011
-Maria Valdez, Yuma High School, 2014