- Hahnemann University, 1980 (M.D.)
- University of Arizona (Internship, Residency and Cardiology Fellowship)
- AOA, Zeta Chapter, 1979
- House Officer Educator of the Year, 1982
- College of Medicine 1983 Graduating Class Award: Outstanding Housestaff Teaching Award
- Visiting Faculty, Hillenbrand Biomedical Engineering Center, Purdue University, 1984-1987
- Flinn Foundation, Junior Investigator Award, 1989-1990
- Dean's Teaching Scholar, 1995-1996
- Cardiology Fellowship "Mentoring" Award, 1996
- Fellow of the American College of Physicians
- Fellow of the Council of Clinical Cardiology of the American Heart Association
- Fellow of the American College of Chest Physicians
- Fellow of the American College of Cardiology
- Fellow of the Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions
- UMC Chief of Staff, 2005-2007
Cardiopulmonary resuscitation - major projects within CPR include:
- No ventilation basic life support
- CPR Myocardial blood flow during CPR in an animal model with coronary artery lesions
- Post-resuscitation LV dysfunction
Active participation in an experimental laboratory involving large animal models (pigs) of cardiac arrest and CPR Interesting interaction with a multi-disciplinary group of CPR researchers, i.e., the University of Arizona Resuscitation Research Group
Participation in analysis of data, writing research results for publication, and presentation of such results at scientific meetings
Elias Stratigouleas (MSRP 1998): "Optimizing the dose of Dobutamine for post-resuscitation left ventricular dysfunction in a porcine model."
Matthew Porter (MSRP 2000): "Comparing conventional CPR to a chest-compressions-only model."
Joseph Heidenrich (MSRP 2001, 2003): "Vasopressin's effect of post resuscitation left ventricular function: Unknown consequences of the new CPR guidelines 2000."
Karl Huebner (MSRP 2010): "Therapeutic Hypothermia Will Improver Left Ventricular Mechanical and Microcirculatory Function Post Resuscitation."
Carl Ellingson (MSRP 2014): "The Role of Hypthermia and Coronary Reperfusion in Maximixing Neurologically Intact Survival After Cardiac Arrest."
Joseph Monfeli (MSRP 2016): "Optimal Hemodynamic Support for Emergency Coronary Intervention During Refractory Cardiac Arrest."
Henry TD. Atkins JM. Cunningham MS. Francis GS. Groh WJ. Hong RA. Kern KB. Larson DM. Ohman EM. Ornato JP. Peberdy MA. Rosenberg MJ. Weaver WD. ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction: recommendations on triage of patients to heart attack centers: is it time for a national policy for the treatment of ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction?. [Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 47(7):1339-45, 2006.
Ewy GA. Kern KB. Sanders AB. Newburn D. Valenzuela TD. Clark L. Hilwig RW. Otto CW. Hayes MM. Martinez P. Berg RA. Cardiocerebral resuscitation for cardiac arrest. American Journal of Medicine. 119(1):6-9, 2006.
Berg MD. Clark LL. Valenzuela TD. Kern KB. Berg RA. Post-shock chest compression delays with automated external defibrillator use. Resuscitation. 64(3):287-91, 2005.
Sorrell VL. Altbach MI. Kern KB. Squire S. Hilwig RW. Hayes MM. Ewy GA. Berg RA. Images in cardiovascular medicine. Continuous cardiac magnetic resonance imaging during untreated ventricular fibrillation. Circulation. 111(19):e294, 2005.
Kern KB. Valenzuela TD. Clark LL. Berg RA. Hilwig RW. Berg MD. Otto CW. Newburn D. Ewy GA. An alternative approach to advancing resuscitation science. Resuscitation. 64(3):261-8, 2005.
Joseph Heidenrich (Class of 2004): "Chest compression performance is better with chest compression only than standard CPR: 18 month follow up."
Emily Ramirez, 2015; "Investigating New CPR Methods and Repairing Heart Tissue with Cell-Based Therapy"
Thy Tran, 2016; "Optimal Systemic Circulatory Support for Cardiac Arrest in the Catherization Laboratory."
-Rocky Caccavale, Tucson High Magnet School, 1993
-Michael Garcia, Mountain View High School, 1995
-Cody Miller-Montijo, Pueblo High School, 1996
-Gabriel, Lopez, Sunnyside High School, 2014
-Minerva Santa Cruz, Desert View High School, 2015