- University of Puget Sound, Tacoma, Washington, 1981-1984 (B.A., Chemistry)
- University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, 1984-1986 (M.S., Exercise and Sport Sciences)
- University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, 1986-1992 (Ph.D., Exercise Physiology)
- University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, Arizona, 1993-1997 (M.D.,)
- University of Texas-Houston, Houston, Texas, 1992-1993 (Post-Doctoral Fellow, Physiology and Cell Biology)
- Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota, 1997-2000 (Resident, Internal Medicine)
- Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota, 2000-2003 (Fellow, Internal Medicine/Endocrinology and Metabolism)
- Cum Laude Graduate, University of Puget Sound, 1984
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, 1984
- Varsity Letter Winner Cross-Country, University of Puget Sound, 1983
- Varsity Letter Winner Track and Field, University of Puget Sound, 1983
- Graduate Academic Scholarship, University of Arizona, 1987-1989
- Student Research Award, American Society for Gravitational and Space Biology, 1989
- Graduate Student Research Fellowship, National Aeronautics and Space Administration, 1989-1992
- Young Investigator Award, American Physiological Society, 1991
- National Research Service Award, National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, 1992-1993
- Cosmos 2G Comparison Study Team Group Achievement Award, National Aeronautics and Space Administration, 1994
- Medical Student Research Program Fellowship, University of Arizona College of Medicine, 1994
- Medical Student Research Fellowship, American Diabetes Association, 1994-1995
- Excellence in Research Award, University of Arizona College of Medicine, 1997
- Clinician Investigator Training Fellowship, Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, 2000-2003
My laboratory investigates mechanisms contributing to insulin resistance that occur as a result of physical inactivity, obesity, and the cardiometabolic syndrome. We are particularly interested in defining the contribution of the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system (RAAS), reactive oxygen species (ROS) and inflammation in preventing normal skeletal muscle insulin signaling. Skeletal muscle cell and tissue cultures, and whole animal responses to insulin by euglycemic-hyperinsulinemic clamp are used to study cellular insulin signaling pathways and tissue responses to insulin. I am also studying the effects of insulin resistance on mitochondrial.
1) Determining the effect of angiotensin II on skeletal muscle NAD(P)H oxidase activity and reactive oxygen species using Ren-2 transgenic and Zucker obese rat models, and myoblast/myotube cell cultures.
2) Determining the effects of angiotensin II receptor or mineralcorticoid receptor blockade on skeletal muscle insulin signaling and glucose transport.
3) Determining the effects of physical inactivity, mitochondrial dysfunction, and ectopic lipid accumulation on NAD(P)H oxidase activity, oxidative stress and tissue resistance to insulin.
4) Determining the role of inflammatory cytokines on the development of tissue insulin resistance in skeletal muscle cell cultures, and hypertensive and obese animal models.
5) Determining the mechanisms by which insulin up-regulates skeletal muscle mitochondrial oxidative capacity.
Whaley-Connell A, Govindarajan G, Habibi J, Hayden MR, Cooper SA, Wei Y, Ma L, Qazi M, Link D, Karuparthi PR, Stump CS, Ferrario CM, Sowers JR: Angiotensin-II Mediated Oxidative Stress Promotes Myocardial Tissue Remodeling in the Transgenic TG (mRen2) 27 Ren2 Rat. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2007 PMID: 17440033 [Epub ahead of print]
Whaley-Connell AT, Morris EM, Rehmer N, Yaghoubian JC, Wei Y, Hayden MR, Habibi J, Stump CS, Sowers JR: Albumin activation of NAD(P)H oxidase activity is mediated via Rac1 in proximal tubule cells. Am J Nephrol. 27(1):15-23, 2007.
Asmann YW, Stump CS, Short KR, Coenen-Schimke JM, Guo Z, Bigelow ML, Nair KS: Skeletal muscle mitochondrial functions, mitochondrial DNA copy numbers, and gene transcript profiles in type 2 diabetic and nondiabetic subjects at equal levels of low or high insulin and euglycemia. Diabetes 55(12):3309-19, 2006.
Laye MJ, Thyfault JP, Stump CS, Booth FW: Inactivity induces increases in abdominal fat. J Appl Physiol. 102(4):1341-7, 2007.
Stump CS, Henriksen EJ, Wei Y, Sowers JR: The metabolic syndrome: role of skeletal muscle metabolism. Ann Med. 38(6):389-402, 2006.
Wei Y, Sowers JR, Nistala R, Gong H, Uptergrove GM, Clark SE, Morris EM, Szary N, Manrique C, Stump CS: Angiotensin II-induced NADPH oxidase activation impairs insulin signaling in skeletal muscle cells. J Biol Chem. 281(46):35137-46, 2006.
Whaley-Connell AT, Chowdhury NA, Hayden MR, Stump CS, Habibi J, Wiedmeyer CE, Gallagher PE, Tallant EA, Cooper SA, Link CD, Ferrario C, Sowers JR: Oxidative stress and glomerular filtration barrier injury: role of the renin-angiotensin system in the Ren2 transgenic rat. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 291(6):F1308-14, 2006.
Stump CS, Hamilton MT, Sowers JR: Effect of antihypertensive agents on the development of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Mayo Clin Proc. Jun;81(6):796-806, 2006.