Gain understanding of the shifting domains of ignorance, uncertainty, and the unknown: philosophical and psychological foundations and approaches to learning, questioning, and creating "knowledge"; history and development of selected ideas and methods in basic and clinical medical science; mastery by in-depth multidimensional exploration of selected timely medical topics.
Improve skills to recognize and deal productively with ignorance, uncertainty, and the unknown: questioning critically and creatively focusing on raising, listening to, analyzing, prioritizing, and answering questions from different points of view; communicating clearly in different media with various audiences; collaborating effectively with different people and other resources.
Reinforce positive attitudes and values of curiosity, optimism, humility, self-confidence, and skepticism.
Activities & Courses
- Summer Institute on Medical Ignorance
- Full-time basic and clinical research
- Seminars and Clinics on Medical Ignorance
- Freshman Colloquium and Workshops on "Introduction to Medical and Other Ignorance
- Introduction to Medical and Other Ignorance
- Questions and Questioning Exercises
- Creative Thinking Exercises
- Final Oral and Written Reports on Selected Topics in Medical Ignorance
- Weekly Ignorance Logs
- Ignorance Field Trips
- Monthly Pondering Rounds
- Ignorance Ward and Grand Rounds
- Ignorance Conferences
- Visiting Professors of Medical Ignorance
- La Residencia del Incógnito